If you are in the process of getting replacement doors for your home, you surely know already that the abundance of available door types and materials make the selection more than complicated. However, nothing is impossible with the right approach, so here are a few aspects and tips that you can use to guide your search and to make sure your doors, whether it is a single front door or multiple interior doors, will serve you well for decades.
Choosing the Best Front Door
Entry doors are in direct contact with the elements outside and they are also the first components that visitors notice, so the two most important factors that should determine your choice are weather-resistance and aesthetic appeal – in other words, material and design. The choice regarding aesthetics is a matter of taste, but here are the most common materials used for making front doors today:
- PVC – this was the first synthetic material introduced to replace traditional timber doors. The material is affordable and it offers great thermal performance, minimizing the heat exchange between your home’s interior and the outside. However, PVC doors usually come in simple design and the color options are also limited.
- Composite doors – these doors are made from special plastic material reinforced to offer superior energy-efficiency. Composite is a versatile material, suitable for creating doors in various styles, so the color and design options available with these doors are almost limitless.
- Veneered timber – an attractive solution that will give you all the aesthetic benefits of wood, but will require you to do some painting and coating at least once a year. This option works best for regions that don’t get very harsh weather.
- Solid wood – the most expensive, but also the most attractive front door options of them all, solid hardwood doors are usually made to the client’s individual specifications. If you are attracted by this great solution, however, you need to know that you will need to paint and to apply protective coating on your doors regularly to protect them against the harmful effects of moisture and against insects.
Choosing the Best Interior Doors
The aspects you have to take into consideration when choosing your interior doors are slightly different the factor that determine your choice of front doors. Your interior doors will largely define the visual appeal of your home, they are very important for providing suitable privacy and noise protection and they also need to be durable, especially in the areas of your home that get a lot of traffic. Pay attention to the following factors:
- Opening direction – you can choose to have a right-hand or a left-hand door swing. When choosing doors that delimit corridors or halls, choose doors that open toward the interior of the home and not into the corridor or hall.
- The door frame – decide whether you need a pre-hung door that comes mounted in its own frame or a slab door. The latter is a cheaper solution, but pay attention to measure the old window frame very accurately to avoid costly modifications if the new door doesn’t fit in.
- Replacement doors for small spaces – sliding doors, folding doors or pocket doors are attractive and comfortable options that will not take up any of your small room space during opening or closing.
Look to experienced door and window replacement Denver specialists for additional information. Their expert advice can help you make choices that will improve your home’s value and curb appeal. They will work with you to meet your budget objectives.